I’m going to do my “August: Osage County” Movie review in the form of a gratitude list.
1. I am glad I don’t live in Oklahoma. I hereby apologize to anyone who loves Oklahoma, but I only have two conscious memories of the state. A cross-Oklahoma sprint on my drive from Michigan to Arizona in 1983, and “August: Osage County.” Not scheduling any returns.
2. I am glad it is not 108 degrees in Arizona right now.
3. I am glad that when it is 108 degrees in Arizona, the air conditioning works.
4. I am glad I am going to three consecutive basketball games this afternoon, and not a post-funeral family dinner.
5. I am glad I did not go to the movie with a male.
6. I am glad I saw Julia Roberts in matronly, shapeless clothing before I bought anything for spring.
7. I am glad I have wonderful friends like Stacey to go to the movies with.
8. I am glad they now serve lunch in upscale movie theaters.
9. I am glad I have the flexibility to occasionally go to the movies during a weekday.
10. I am glad that Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts are actresses during my lifetime. Sam Shepard and Ewan McGregor aren’t too shabby either.
VERDICT: Recommended, with the above-qualifiers.